General legal requirements

In the context of events, these may include:

Some sports have quasi-legal requirements, such as international competition rules and structures, monitoring officials and anti-doping protocols.

Conferences normally use and photocopy materials, so you should consider copyright. Use of logos in promotions is discussed elsewhere. They are copyright and may be also protected by trade mark laws and honesty in trading laws.

Other legal factors that may affect you are:




Permits and licenses

These may include:

You may need to contact the following for liaison or permits:

Requirements more particularly for transport:

Licensing requirements more particularly for staff of outdoor events can include:




Keeping registers

Keep a list of agreements. During your event planning, you will probably initiate agreements and contracts with suppliers and sponsors. If so, you should have a list of all agreements to make sure that:

Give your accountant an up-to-date copy of the list (or keep it on an intranet) so the accountant knows what payments they must make and receive, and the terms of payment.

Keep track of your licensing and regulatory requirements. You should at least have a list of:




Get insurance

You must normally have adequate insurance cover or you should cancel your event. In many cases, adequate insurance cover will be a legal requirement for providing the event, and public liability insurance for some kinds of events can be so expensive that it determines the go/no-go decision. Insurance is often a very complex field and needs its own set of steps, which should include getting independent advice.

Your insurability may depend on:

You may already be adequately insured through your sponsoring body (e.g. such as events run by hotels on their own premises).

There are different kinds of insurance that you may need. Public liability is the obvious one, but you might also need:

There are many other kinds of insurance that may apply in particular circumstances, for which you should get advice.

If the show will be on tour, especially overseas tour, you may need to get either specialized insurance, or the option of a rider.

In other cases, you will have to research different insurers . . .


  1. Compare products from different companies; they usually are different in at least some ways.
  2. Be sure the policy you get will fully meet your needs and all identified risks. Don't just go for lower priced policies; they might provide inadequate cover.
  3. Some companies are better than others to get payments from if you have a claim.
  4. Some group and special schemes can provide excellent cover at very low rates.
  5. A trustworthy insurance broker can take most of the work out of it.
  6. If you are negligent in some way, insurers may decide to fight a large claim.